Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cake Pops were a SUCCESS!

I had seen a recipe for Cake Pops awhile back and thought they looked cute and fun. So, I decided I would try to make them for the girls' Valentine's parties at school. I gathered all of the things that I would need: cake mix (I used Duncan Hines), icing (any kind), lollipop sticks, candy melts or chocolate bark, sprinkles, treat bags, and a block of styrofoam (not pictured).



You start off by baking the cake as directed. After it cools, dump entire cake into a big bowl and crumble to tiny pieces. Then you add 1/2 can of icing. Using her hands (and you get VERY DIRTY) mix together thoroughly until thick like a truffle center. If you need extra frosting, you may use it, but half of the container was enough for mine. Roll mixture into balls (the recipe called for 1" balls, but I think mine were bigger than that) and place on a cookie sheet.



Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. I did this Tuesday night and kept them in the fridge until today. Do not freeze them before dipping or the chocolate coating may crack.

Melt candy melts or chocolate bark in the microwave according to the directions on the package. Dip the tip of your lollipop stick in a little of the melted candy and insert into the flat end of the cake balls.

Carefully insert the cake ball into the candy coating by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered, remove and tap gently on the edge of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate. Tapping too hard may cause the ball to fall off the stick. Immediately cover with sprinkles before the chocolate has a chance to set. Insert into styrofoam to let harden.



Once finished, begin packaging them in the same order they were dipped. This part is easier if you have a helper. Place a cello bag over the top and while someone holds it, tie some curly ribbon below the ball.

Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week. Pretty easy and very cute!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love them! I may have to try this! I did make the edible crayons that Amanda had tagged us with in the email..those turned out pretty cute! I love cake pops...I may have to do it just so I can eat one;)!
Beth

Muffy said...

Oh my goodness how cute are those!!!

Mandy from Burkett Blessings said...

Absolutely adorable!! Thanks for sharing how you created them! Too Cute!!!

Elyssa said...

mmm those look sooooo good!