Monday, January 26, 2009

Transitions for a 2 year old

So I've been thinking that I need to do two things before this new baby arrives, and they both pertain to Claire. One-transition her from the crib to a twin bed. Two-POTTY TRAIN! Well, she's almost 2 1/2, therefore I thought potty training might go easier since Camden was almost 3 before I got her in a twin bed. Friday we were home all day, which is VERY RARE. I decided to just put her in panties all day and see how she did. When I finally did change the girls' clothes, it was around 10:30, therefore, there wasn't much morning left. But, it was off to a good start. No accidents, but she didn't do anything on the potty, even though she made several attempts. So, at naptime I decided a diaper was best. After nap, the panties went back on. It was so pretty outside that we all went out to ride bikes and trikes and cars. My dad stopped by to see the girls and they all had a blast outside. I continued asking Claire if she needed to potty (which was probably my downfall..maybe I should have just taken her). She said no every time. My dad went to pick her up and she was completely soaked. Pee was running all the way down her legs, but she didn't complain. She was still playing on her tricycle and car like there was not a problem. Right then I decided that she was not the least bit interested. I figured why stress myself out when I'm just going to have to keep cleaning up accidents. Wouldn't it just be easier to change diapers? So, tonight I decided that maybe I'll switch gears and try the big bed. Claire had no nap today and was extra sleepy, therefore, thought the move might go over better than I had thought. I put her in the twin bed with her baby and blankets, we said our prayers and I told her goodnight. She was a little fearful of the monsters that she thinks are in her room, but after reassuring her that there are no monsters, she said "Goodnight Mommy". It's been about 15 minutes and I had heard nothing so I went in and checked on her. I thought she might be asleep, but she wasn't. She was laying there so still and when she saw me she waved and said "Night night". How sweet! Maybe this will work!!! Keep your fingers crossed. Maybe if she gets used to the twin bed it will be easier to transition her to Camden's room to join her in the bunk beds. I'm hoping anyway!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally understand the feeling of wanting them potty trained. We had worked hard with Kens all summer and then when we were at Disneyland in Sept. all of our hard work down the drain....so all of that to say, she is completely trained now (since November. Although I still put her in a pull up at naptime and bedtime, I would rather change a pull up than sheets. Sounds like she did well in the big girl bed. :-)